Sunday, December 19, 2010

Busy Weekend

On Friday I was able to make a trip out to the Olympic Peninsula to do some snowshoeing in the Olympic National Park.  I have been planning on trying to make at least two snowshoe trips over this break from school, and this one was the first on my list!

It was quite a trek to make it over to the to the park because you have to take a ferry across Puget Sound over to the peninsula and then make about a two hour drive to the ridge.  So, it felt like quite an adventure!

The snowshoeing was quite honestly some of the best that I have been able to enjoy since I started a few years back.  I could not have asked for better weather and snow conditions; blue skies, cold temps and awesome fluffy snow!  Surprisingly, I was the first snowshoer that made it up to the ridge since the previous weekend (The road up to the ridge is only open Fri-Sun).  There was only one cross-country skier that made it out before me so I had about 6-8" of fresh snow to go stomping through!

Well, all of that trail breaking took a toll on my hip flexors and I never made it to Hurricane Hill.  After stopping in a gorgeous spot high on the ridge to eat my lunch, I decided to make this my turn around spot.

Once I got back to the truck I noticed that I had left my lights on...  No good...  The battery was as dead as a doornail but I managed to get a jump-start from one of the Park Rangers at the station and made my way down and across the Sound without any further difficulty.

Here's a quick video of some pics and other stuff from the trip:


On Saturday; Faith, Chris, Aura, Malia and I went and spent the evening in Downtown Seattle to go walk around and see the holiday craziness.  We walked around Pike Place Market, got a coffee and then went to have some Thai for dinner.  Then, we walked down 5th Ave. to see the tree at Westlake Center.  We had a great time!

Westlake Center
Pike Place at Sunset


Macy's Star

No comments:

Post a Comment